The lower efficiency of linear power supplies results in them getting
hotter than a switching power supply, thats just physics - (the
conservation of energy)

The hum I referred to is being emitted from the PS (not as signal
through the amp) google "transformer hum", it appears they all do it to
some extent or another - as I say, its very quiet, but it annoyed me...

For reference, the power supply I tried was a brand new Power One 5V/3A
unit.

I'm sort of glad my system can't resolve the differences other people
can hear with power supplies; messing about with batteries and tin foil
seems like a poor work around to get non-degraded performance from a
SB3.

--
mick_w

http://freespace.virgin.net/mick.webb/