Limping_Pylon;173028 Wrote:
> Can anyone (Sean?) explain how Stereophile even came to do a review of
> the TP and was SD even aware that this was going on?  Do SD marking
> guys beat on Stereophile or does a phone call come out of the blue with
> a 'hey can we borrow a unit to review'  just kind of curious to know how
> this came about. I guess I also assumed that SD would have seen the copy
> and had a opportunity to put HUGE ads in the magazine at the publication
> date...

To answer your question - publications contact us all the time asking
for units to review. With Stereophile I think we actually asked them if
they would like to have a look at the product as soon as we were
shipping it when we did the initial press release.

As far as the link between reviews and advertising - there isn't one.
Slim Devices has never advertised (apart from one banner on
Pandora.com), so there was never even a hint of advertising commitment
for a good review. I'm sure no publication runs a hugely negative
review in the high expectation of then contacting the reviewee to buy
ad space. Whilst the magazine business is exactly that, most titles (in
my experience) have editorial guidelines they value as it's what wins
them readers and therefore advertising revenues. 'Advertorial' content
normally sticks out like a sore thumb and is a quick way to lose your
core customers.

I hope this helps shed some light on the murky world of magazine
reviews.

--
Jez

Jez Hildred