jmourik;174047 Wrote:

> How much lower grade is the AKM4395 that's used in the Stello DA100?
> That unit sells for $700...

Without experience with either, I'd say not much. According to the data
sheets '96 does DSD and has a slightly higher sample rate. They both
have differential output, 120db SNR, similar architecture etc. I have
no idea how/if this translates audibly using PCM data.

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4395/ak4395_f01e.pdf
http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4396/ak4396_f00e.pdf

>From a marketing perspective it would be better to keep the higher
'grade' DAC because the difference costwise is probably chump change,
whereas the ancillary components could be 'slimmed' down without
removing the ak4396 badge.

--
Skunk