Mark Lanctot;173901 Wrote:
> Really?  They can hardly meet demand.  It's far exceeded their
> expectations.
>
> Also you can bet there's a lot more margin in the Transporter than the
> Squeezebox.  'Course you don't get the volume...

Lots of companies have lost lots of money catering to the classes on
supposed "high margin" products.  The market for *any* type of $2,000
audio source component is limited.  Imagine if Slim had put reosurces
against a mainstream audiophile component?

> But lots of companies do this - a high-end testbed that pioneers certain
> concepts which eventually trickle down to the mainstream products.  Slim
> Devices have in fact specifically said so.  And they're not much for
> saying things about upcoming products, so this speaks volumes.

Right -- companies with money to burn.  If I were an investor in Slim,
I'd be asking serious questions about how development resources are
being allocated.

--
FatElvis2000