thomsens wrote:
I've been looking for a new high-end 2 channel system into which I will
simply plug my SB, then later a Transporter.

I won't argue their source was better, even though I didn't notice an
appreciable difference.  But what I don't understand is how they can
look the other way on having 12,000 songs at their instant disposal as
a trade-off to a nearly non-existent difference in quality.

I'm not following you here. high-end usually means you obsess about quality. It is trivial to get better sound quality, don't use MP3. Use FLAC.

If you don't care about the last percent or two, why bother with high-end, just get something decent, say some $600 speakers and a AV receiver. Plug your SqueezeBox into it, and be happy.

To me, the sonic differences between the best MP3 and FLAC on my system are night and day.

Thinking about getting a Transporter and connecting it to mid-fi systems playing MP3 doesn't make economic sense to me, IMHO, etc. The difference between a Transporter and a SqueezeBox are going to be lost on a mid-fi setup.

But YMMV, etc.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html