opaqueice;175706 Wrote:
> SB3 -> custom Odyssey Audio Cyclops -> B&W CM4 (which are pretty good
> floorstanding box speakers with very high MAF/WAF).
>
> I wasn't referring to the display noise (although I see no reason why
> the PS would be less likely to affect that than music).  I was
> referring to the overall noise floor, for example from the left
> channel.

The display noise (if it's there) would be a product of the display
circuit (power to the display, digital drivers, the actual display
itself, etc). I don't see that an external power supply necessarily can
do anything to affect that.

When it comes to judging sound quality from a component's noise floor I
don't get what the point would be in that? If, for example, noise
introduces jitter in the D/A, it won't show up when the D/A isn't doing
anything. Furthermore the D/A will not sound "noisy" -it will just sound
"bad". That is the nature of may problems in audio reproduction -they
are not easily identifiable as "noise" freestanding from any audio
signals. (Especially not by ear.)

--
P Floding