opaqueice;175723 Wrote:
> But you do see how it can affect music playback?
>

> If the PS induces jitter in the D/A it's because there are some stray
> fields around which cause noise in the DAC.  In that case they will
> also induce noise in the analogue out, and when you amplify it you
> should be able to hear it as increased noise floor or possibly a hum or
> tone.  It's significant that Tom hears a lower noise floor with the
> linear supply - that's the first concrete piece of evidence I've heard
> that this upgrade does anything.
>
> In any case it would be quite easy (with the right equipment) to
> measure whether or not SB jitter is affected by using a linear PS.  Has
> anyone done that?

Well, if a component (say the display system) GENERATES noise
internally, it's not going to help adding a nicer external power
supply. Isn't that quite obvious?

I can't answer for Tom. (Perhaps he meant the percieved noise floor
during playback of music?)
I don't, generally, put my ear to the speakers to see if the noise
floor has changed.

Re. jitter: There must be some misunderstanding about how a D/A works,
and/or what jitter is and how it affects the D/A process.

--
P Floding