After reading the thread on what the goal of audio reproduction is I was
reminded of a question I have thought about a bit over the years.

We've probably all heard of the audiophile who spends a fortune on
equipment and listens to nothing but sound effects. Then I am reminded
of an article I read in Audio mag (that ages me) in which the author
defined an audiophile as someone who spends far more money on their
recording collection than on their equipment.

That seems to cover the two extremes.

How many of us have heard systems that had all the Hi Fi credentials
but sounded horrible. I would put Theil speakers in that category.
Great soundstage, very clean and crisp and treble that consists of
fingernails on a chalkboard (oops aged myself again).

I think I fall into the "the music comes first group".

Would you rather listen to mediocre music on a fabulous system, or
great music on a mediocre system?

--
regalma1