j.wales;178111 Wrote:
> After reading several of the threads relating to linear power supplies,
> I figured I would spend the $25 or so and try the Globe Tek linear
> supply.
>
> I am going to start by saying that I know how controversial this
> subject has been in the past, so the following is only my opinion, that
> is it.  Further, I have an extremely limited understanding of how
> electronics work, I just know what I like and don't like in terms of
> sound.
>
> My system is SB3 > Audible Illusions L2 > McCormack DNA-1 > Revel F-52.
> I live in NYC.
>
> All that being said, what a difference, night and day!  I can't believe
> it.  Honestly.  And to answer the double blind test question, I have one
> better.  My wife, whom has a fantastic ear, and indulges me in the
> hobby, was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper and she put it
> down, shot a look, and asked how much I spent!!!  She had no idea that
> I made any changes to the system.  As far as she was concerned we were
> sitting on the couch, casually listening, reading as we try to do
> whenever we can.
>
> The difference, again in my opinion and my wife's is the enhancements
> to the soundstage, placement of instruments, separation of instruments,
> clarity, deeper clearer bass- basically you name it - My wife and I
> heard a significant improvement.  Perhaps it is the "noise" of NYC, the
> "dirty" power, whatever it is it made a difference in my system to my
> ears and to my wife's.

Let someone shoot me down here, but according to a brief e-conversation
I had with someone from SD, because the 5 volt regulated supply into the
SB is up-converted to various other internal supply rails and it is
these which will actually affect the quality of the audio, and then
regulated internally *again*, there's nothing measurable to be gained
by messing with the original supply. But, due to the intense emotional
and fiscal investment people on this forum have already made on this
topic, I'll bow out now and let the flame wars begin......:-)
P.S. This didn't stop me from making my own battery-powered supply just
in case ;-)

--
peejay

After Silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible
is music - Aldous Huxley.