Opaqueice,

Is perhaps one of the confusing things in this discussion the
difference between a single person, single trial negative result (i.e.
null) vs a single person multiple trial negative result/positive
results vs multiple person multiple trials?

When someone says "I heard a difference", I believe totally that they
believe they heard a difference. The issue is that there are many ways
people can perceive difference that is there, but not they way they
think, or they perceive difference that is not there, but they have
been suggested into thinking it is there.

For example, someone who "got better" in a DBT of a drug *is* better.
But the drug is not necessarily causitive. If it does not show efficacy
in the statistics (i.e. over many people and trials) then the "got
better" result was not due to the drug.

Similarly, people think that changing something (e.g. an amp, a source)
is the cause of a "got better" result. It could be many other causes,
e.g. volume not matched +-0.1 dB (louder is perceived as "better"). So
the issue is determining if a given change "caused" the "got better"
result, not whether they heard an improvement.

Maybe I am not expressing this well enough and you could eloborate or
say it better. The point I am making is that many people feel offended
when someone says "it got better" and "thus it is due to X" and someone
else says "did you ABX it" - they interpret this to mean that the ABX
comment means they did NOT hear an improvement, and that their
conclusion the improvement is from A (which is what they changed) is
wrong.

The former may be true: they heard it. The latter may NOT be true,
unless the statistics show that A is in fact causitive above the level
of random chance.

Eric

--
Eric Carroll

Transporter-Bryston 3B SST-Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.4
SB3-Rotel RB890-B&W Matrix 805
SB3-Pioneer VSX-49TXi-Mirage OM7+C2+R2