snarlydwarf;180098 Wrote:

> Can't we all agree on some basic realities:
> 1) Human perception is easily fooled by a variety of influences
> (loouder, hints, expectations, etc... some obvious, some subtle)
> 2) Removing as many external influences as possible is necessary to
> do any scientific test (ie, in chemistry you record the room
> temperature to make sure "the A/C was broken that day" is accounted
> for).
> 3) Admkitting that your mind is fallabile isn't an insult: everyone
> has the same problem.  It doesnt mean your ears arent golden either.
>
> This is why DBT is used for drug tests: because peoples expectations of
> getting better corrupt the data.  (It is scary how many placebos for
> things like depression work...)

It goes way beyond perception being fooled. There is an infinite
variety of stimuli in our environment that are acting on sensory
receptors all the time.  The only way to reduce the information to an
amount that can be handled is through filtering the sensory information
through pre-attentional and attentional processes before it even gets to
the brain. There is a great deal of stimulation that triggers a sensory
receptor that is never actually perceived in any meaningful sense.
That's simply the nature of the process. It's not necessarily a matter
of perception being fooled. Sensory discrimination is a learning
process.  Without the experience, there are discriminations that you
cannot make.  A oenophile can tell you in very great detail about wine
from a single taste.  I don't like wine, and would have a hard time
telling a classic wine from a $5 bottle. I haven't had the training,
and cannot make the taste discrimination.

We are hardwired so that we do NOT experience any sensory stimuli
without preprocessing. What gets to the brain in not a veridical
representation of what we see, hear, smell, taste or touch. To give you
a very common example:

<--->
>---<

We know that both lines are the same length.  However, the cues i the
lines tell us the bottom line is longer, so that's how we perceive it.
(Note, the breaks between the dashes make it easier to see past the
illusion). In any event, we have all seen optical illusions. They occur
due to "shortcuts" in the perceptual process that simplify perception.
This occurs in audition also.

In removing external influences, you also need to insure that you are
not removing influences that affect the experiment. In a chemistry
experiment, you record room temperature.  If temperature affects the
reaction, you can at least account for a negative result.  The open
question is whether or not DBT itself influences the ability to make
the discrimination at hand.  Bear in mind that the senses do not
operate independently, particularly once you get to the attentional
level. It is absolutely essential in a DBT to have a positive control,
where known measurable and audible differences are part of the test.
If you don't prove that the test is not reducing the ability to affect
a known difference, you cannot even begin to say what a negative result
on an unknown difference means.

Placebo's do work...both ways. Expectancy can eliminate a real
difference as easily as it can produce a false positive.

I have used DBT in pharmacology.  I don't trust results without it.
However, I also take a great deal of care to insure that I've got a
reasonable chance to interpret a negative result, or I'd never get a
study approved by an IACUC or an IRB. That includes running power
analyses to insure that I've got an adequate N to interpret a negative
result, as well as running appropriate controls to insure the
sensitivity of my test procedures. There are also times when a DBT
cannot be run in pharmacology (for example, the test drug produces
unique side effects that may not be harmful, but are easily
distinguished from a placebo). So, we use alternative methodologies,
simply because the circumstances of the experiment indicate that DBT is
not the right tool for that particular compound.

As Mr. Natural said to Flakey Foont long ago: "Use the right tool for
the job!"

--
hirsch