A good DAC greatly improves the SB, and in just the sort of ways that
your amp/speaker combination (can't sneer at any of the Maggies, even
the little ones) should be good at: rich, musical sound with the
digital harshness removed. I chose the Benchmark DAC1 over the Lavry
and the Stello DA220, mostly because it has good input/output
flexibility and a volume control (in case I decide to connect it
directly to the power amp); its also a little cheaper, at $975. This
gives me what for my purposes is a Transporter for $1000 less. I have
been a tubes-and-turntable sort of guy for 20 years but the
SB/Benchmark combo sounds so good that I plan to record all my vinyl to
FLAC. Whatever your price range, though, I do think you will hear the
difference with a good upsampling DAC.

--
shyster