Phil Leigh;184350 Wrote:
> Well, don't forget that the "digital signal" is still in fact only an
> analogue representation of a digital signal, as with any "bus" - and so
> is susceptible to noise messing with the accuracy of the analogue
> squarewave waveforms...

But the thing about digital data is that a bit is a bit - whether it
arrives as a perfect soliton or as a somewhat distorted mess does not
really matter because the other end will see it as a 1 or a 0 no matter
how ugly it got to look. If someone wants to claim signals get distorted
so badly that measurable bit error rates arise over S/PDIF, be it
Toslink or Coax, be our guest. Short of the cosmic rays mentioned
elsewhere... :-)

Phil Leigh;184350 Wrote:
> Ooops - can of worms open...worms everywhere...

Audiophile discussions are an all you can eat worm buffet. :-)

At the end of the day, psychoacoustics matter very much. You will hear
what you believe. And very often measurably worse sound sounds better
to people. Being an audiophiole to a cetrtain degree is finding that
worse sound that happens to appeal to us. :-)

--
pablolie