Skunk;184362 Wrote:
> That sounds more like a preconceived notion than engineering mind to me
> :-) I do agree that arguing over consumer digital formats is like
> chasing one's tail, when other formats are probably superior to both

But that's the thing: the format is identical whether it's optical or
coax. There's a S/PDIF receiver there, and that thing has a build in
buffer, will get the embedded clocking, and spit out a datastream
towards the DA stage that will be identical no matter what the
preceding transport media was. Such is the digital domain. In theory,
and the person asking the question claimed to be interested exclusively
in the engineering facts, not the more esoteric possibilities.

So I'd worry more about the implementation of the S/PDIF receiver at
the remote end, because that is what may influence the DA. And worry
less about the cable type. Unless the coax introduces a ground issue.

> It does no good to argue over DAC chips without considering
> the circuit, so the ideal cable probably varies amongst
> equipment.

It shoudn't, but it probably does. :-)

> The best advice is 'try it and see'

Indeed it is!