seanadams;184485 Wrote:
> Oops, I mis-read your question...I thought you were asking what _I_
> could hear. But basically the answer is the same. If you are comparing
> two devices whose output jitter differ by a few tens of picoseconds, I
> would not expect you to be able to detect a difference simply by
> listening to the output of a DAC fed by s/pdif. The interface could
> easily be adding _another_ 150ps RMS by the time the signal gets to the
> DAC chip.
>
> Although the clock jitter is ~30ps RMS lower in Transporter than in
> Squeezebox, I would consider both products to be practically ideal *as
> plain s/pdif sources*, because there's only so good you can get anyway
> with s/pdif. The jitter that s/pdif adds will dwarf whatever a high
> quality source is generating. That is why Transporter incorporates an
> extremely high quality _internal_ DAC, and _also_ supports external
> word clock sync in either direction. An absurdly low-jitter clock is of
> little benefit if you're just going to send it over s/pdif.
>
> However, I would love to be proven wrong.

Thanks for your corrected response.

FYI- the clocks in my DAC are +/- 10ps.

I never said the SQ differences I'm hearing are jitter related, that
was 325xi's call.

Like many others who have posted on this forum, I'd like to see a
digital out only product with AES/EBU or I2S outputs for use with an
external DAC.

I don't need the TP's DAC functions.

A PDA style display remote would also be nice.

--
jhm731