Eric Carroll;185451 Wrote:
> Hm, did I claim this was an experiment? If I did I understand your
> point. But I think this is reverse engineering. To your point, the
> "control" is yet to arrive - I have on order the V2 of the sampler
> disk. This disk has the same track done twice, once with and once
> without the HDCD encoding. I will run them through the 24b capture
> process and examine the waveforms. The expected results will be to see
> the waveform difference. That will be 100% conclusive.
>
> In the meantime I think Olav has nailed it...
Eric - I think you MAY be right - I spent yesterday comparing HDCD rips
via WAVOUT against the 16-bit versions. My initial observatons were
wrong...the files are very different in some cases. Tonight I intend to
do some serious listening, but at the moment it does indeed look like
the MS code does something beyond lighting the HDCD indicator...

I really wish we could get some comment from MS on this.
Cheers
Phil

--
Phil Leigh