pablolie;186759 Wrote:
> First of all, I was clearly kidding.
Please accept my sincere apologies then. :)

pablolie;186759 Wrote:
> Second of all, you must confuse me with someone else when it comes to
> the "so beloved empirical methods". I actually have a very pragmatic
> approach when it comes to audio equipment. I like to understand some of
> the theories behind it, but then again I am very open minded, and fully
> aware of the emotional element of psychoacoustics that go into it -
> then again, I'll put a $ cap on the emotional stuff, there's not a
> single multi-thousand $ esoteric element in my chain. I'll buy a cable
> that's a couple $100 mostly because it looks cool, makes me feel good,
> and the money doesn't hurt - but try to sell me a $2,000 cable and I'll
> be "get outta here - I'd rather fly to Cabo for the week!".
>
> Then again, I think controlled listening tests are *very* important. I
> have a pretty decent ear for differences. It's simply important to know
> and stand to one's sound preferences, and acknowledge that better sounds
> for me may not be better sound for someone else. Often the resolution
> and detail is identical, but some aspects of it are presented a bit
> different. I'll stand to my prefrence every time, and if I am able to
> detect a difference every time (like between the SB3's internal DA and
> the SB3-Toslink-AccuphaseDA chain), it's what ultimately makes me
> decide on a certain configuration.
>
> I'll grant what a listening test like that doesn't prove is utter
> linearity and perfect transparency - we may *prefer* somewhat distorted
> sound that compensates for our individual hearing etc. Then again, the
> fact that something comes out perfectly accurately our of the system
> does not mean it'll make it equally accurate into my brain.

I see again that we basically have very similar views... I know I tend
to react too harsh when I ask purely technical question, in attempt to
have a purely technical answer, but the replies are "try to listen".

pablolie;186759 Wrote:
> Besides, I'd really find if funny if some of those talking about Toslink
> jitter due to distorted flanks then prove to have a tube amp in their
> system. But that's the fun part of audio. :-)

You didn't mean me here, right? 8-0 The last tubed thing I had in my
life was black-white TV 30 years back...

--
325xi

simaudio nova cdp >> simaudio moon i-5 >> revel performa m20 via
acoustic zen matrix reference ii and acoustic zen satori

-planned additions:... >> deq2496 >> lavry da-10 >>...-