My original intention was to highlight the interesting quirks of the
technology and possibly initiate some edifying discussion.  That
doesn't seem likely to happen.  I'm sorry I got onto the issue of
terminology - I just thought it was an amusing semantic quirk.

P Floding;187629 Wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier
>
> Check spcifically "Class D".

Yes, in as much as I have implied that a T-amp is not really an amp
(i.e. not much), I am wrong with respect to conventional terminology.
I'd still argue the T-amp is not -strictly- an amplifier internally,
but since the end result is an amplified version of the input signal,
it's reasonable to call it an amplifier.  Hence:

jimmyfergus Wrote:
> Yes, for analog input, if you consider the unit as a whole, as with the
> T-amps, it is arguably an amplifier in the abstract sense

None of which indicates how a digital input with an analog output fits
the definition of an amplifier.  The Panasonic is not a class D amp.
Its output stage resembles the output stage of a class D amp, but a
class D amp takes, and processes, analog input and that crucial
difference is what makes it reasonable to call them amplifiers.  The
Panasonic (TI PurePath) does not.  There is no point internally where
you could place an oscilloscope probe, even within a chip, and see a
lower power version of the output signal.

The only conceivable point where you can see a higher power signal
matching a lower power input is in the digital realm - and that is
achieved with switching, not amplification.  If that is amplification,
then so is every relay.

--
jimmyfergus