opaqueice;190613 Wrote:
> I studied cognitive psych for a while, and in the process read many
> papers on these effects.  I've never heard of this genetic marker idea
> - it sounds vastly oversimplified and rather naive to attribute such a
> complex phenomenon to a single gene, and it goes against everything we
> have learned from cog psy studies - namely that these effects are a
> basic part of the way we think.
>
> It's not necessary to be able to explain the origins of placebo to
> worry about its effects invalidating uncontrolled tests - you just need
> to know that it exists.

If you've never heard of a genetic marker, it's fairly safe to say that
you're not currently in the biological sciences.

I hope that you know that a biomarker says nothing about causality.  It
simply allows prediction.  Correlation as opposed to causality. If the
genetic marker is present in the study I mentioned, a placebo effect
will not occur in that person.  In admittedly limited circumstances,
the placebo effect in pharmacology *does not exist* for some people.
Ponder the implications of that for a bit.

It is rather naive to hold onto conclusions from old cognitive psych
studies in the face of new evidence.  Do go back and look at the
variances in those studies.  Just because placebo effects occur does
not mean that they occur in everyone.

--
hirsch