opaqueice;191100 Wrote:
> That's exactly what Skunk said.  Frequency reponse, meaning the level of
> sound produced given an input with some frequency at fixed level.

After posting I realized I actually meant to say 'both drivers
producing the same SPL at a given frequency', which Pat was quick to
correct. In this case the smaller driver would require more motion, and
would have to have a better impulse response, in order to match the
speed of a driver producing the same SPL at 1/2 its x-max. Given
similar impulse responses, the larger driver would be at rest sooner
than the small driver.

Imagine how little a woofer the size of a kiddie pool would have to
move to produce a 100dB 30Hz tone, compared to a normal woofer. It
would be like a planar woofer, i.e. fast :-)

Again, not trying to insist I'm right on this, but even creative part
says: "The ribbon is only moving very slightly. So, it can respond very
quickly to a signal". So what is this effect that causes opposite
results in large ribbons versus large woofers?

--
Skunk