Mr_Sukebe;194402 Wrote:
> Speakers are probably the most personal choice within a stereo system.
> Whilst I love what I own, you might hate them, so it's fairly pointless
> me recommending them or similar.  Additionally, I really really don't
> like B&W speakers.  Simply never heard a pair that did anything but put
> me off.
> You really need to go out a listen to a whole bunch of different types
> to see which you prefer.
>
> When I've heard Mac gear, it's been with their own speakers, which are
> also very weird looking.  I'd suggest you find something you like.
>
> With regards to kit you could put in your lounge, a couple of other
> options come to mind:
> - A laptop with an external hard drive attached.  I intended to use my
> own SB+ this way as we have an old laptop kicking around.  Unfortunately
> the laptop in question was so old that it's simply got too little RAM to
> be effective (128MB).  The benefits of a laptop would be size and
> relatively cool running.
> - A NAS such as a QNAP unit e.g.
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qnap-TS-101500GB-TS-101-500Gb-Slimserver/dp/B000F9TD1I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8/203-6345931-5577569?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1176393881&sr=8-8
> NAS units can run the slimserver software, meaning that as long as you
> have another PC which can upload to the NAS, this can be run
> independantly.  It won't have video capability, but should be quiet and
> cool, also cheaper than a full server.

Mr_Sukebe,

thanks for your answer. I will have to start doing the rounds audioroom
by audioroom then. Hehe, my missus will not like that.
I guess I have a long way to go, but I am looking forward to it.
What are your criticisms of B&W speakers (just very curious - no intent
at provocation)? Are they too cold? What are your favourite speakers?

Cheers,

Giacomo

--
gbruzzo