Olav Sunde;195086 Wrote:

> I hear a very clear difference between vinyl transfered to 16 bit and
> 24
> bit and I believe this is so because vinyl has information that a
> straight transfer to 16 bit can not handle. The enthusiasm for DVD-A
> and
> SA-CD wouldn't be there if there was no difference from CD sound.
> And again; we're only talking 16 bit resolution at full modulation.
> Music with large dynamic contrasts will suffer.[color=blue]

It's pretty unlcear whether it's possible to distinguish 24 from
properly dithered 16, at least for music.  Does anyone know of any
controlled tests verifying this?  The closest I've seen is here:

http://ff123.net/24bit/24bitanalysis.html

Certainly there are test tones for which it's possible, and if you
don't mind risking your hearing (in other words listen to something
with a huge dynamic range and turn it way up at the quiet parts) it
might even be possible for music.  But under ant kind of normal
listening conditions, it's doubtful.

--
opaqueice