crooner;197618 Wrote:

> The consensus is that any RFI causing interruption of AM reception will
> most likely affect the low level audio circuits. The audibility of this
> will depend on the quality of your playback equipment and your own
> ears. I particularly don't take any chances with this.

Consensus among whom?  I certainly don't agree with this.  Yes, it is a
possibility, but it is easily tested, and has been tested found not to
be an issue with the SB3 and its stock PS.  The SB3 has a relatively
high powered radio transmitter in the SB3, as well as an internal
switching supply to provide HV for the display.  If you think a little
6W switching power supply located 6' away from the SB3 is going to muck
things up worse than the internal switcher and radio transmitter, you
have a very poorly developed sense of proportion.

AndyC_772;197632 Wrote:

> So, it's perfectly possible for a PSU to be fully compliant to those
> standards, but to put out a lot of hash on the mains supply right
> through the audio band, and also to produce large amounts of noise on
> the DC output provided it doesn't radiate too much over 30MHz....

A large amount of noise on the DC output would be easily visible on an
oscilloscope.  I'll hook my scope up and try to take a picture and post
it.

As I stated before, a 6W power supply can't possibly put a large amount
of noise anywhere.  It barely puts out a "large amount" of DC power!
And yes, the amount of EMI possible IS a function of the capacity of
the power supply.  A very high power supply is likely to radiate more
than a wimpy little 6W power supply.

AndyC_772;197632 Wrote:

> If it causes sound quality problems with the SB3, it'll be because of
> low impedance, high frequency switching noise on the DC output, which
> is hard to filter and therefore makes it through to the internal power
> rails.

High frequency noise (if there was any) is easily filtered by small
capacitors and ferrite beads, and even by the inductance of the power
cable leading to the SB3.

While we're speculating about possible ways to muck up the sound, what
do you guys use to protect against meteorites?  One of those might
REALLY screw up the sound!

TD

--
tyler_durden