opaqueice;200220 Wrote:
> That's possible, and no matter how well you design the test there are
> always going to be factors like that people will point to.  We didn't
> do this carefully at all, because (at least for my part) I just wanted
> to know how significant the difference was.
>
> It sounds like a number of people feel XLR is possible to distinguish
> from RCA.  So that will certainly go on my list as something to test
> for myself when possible.  One question - it's sometimes possible to
> hear the difference even unbalanced cables make in the noise floor.
> I've tried this, and playing a silent or very quiet track at high
> volume you hear a different timbre in the noise with different cables.
> But it's totally impossible to hear when playing normal music at normal
> volumes.
>
> Cliveb and Tom, how would you characterize the balanced versus
> single-ended difference - was it a noise floor issue like that, or was
> it a significant change in the music?  Did one clearly sound better?

The balanced had less sibilance and had a smoother top end overall w/o
less detail.
Violin and classical guitar sounded more natural to me. Vocals sounded
more natural.

With ensemble music the "air" and sense of space was better to my
ears.

I know these descriptions are unscientific but that is the best way I
can describe what I heard.

One of the most interesting observations is that I always wanted to
listen to the balanced longer w/o knowing it was balanced.
I got lstener fatigue with the rca , especially as the session wore
on.

In the end we just tested to see how long I listened to one over the
other.

I was reluctant to switch away from balanced and quck to leave rca.

Very interesting although I don't know what that means other than the
balanced was not fatiguing.

I have wondered if people that think TP is bright and agressive have
heard it balanced.

--
tomjtx