I am using the Windows SlimServer_6.5_v2007-04-30.exe nightly build,
firmware version is 81. I downloaded from Linn Records, the 96 KHz 24
bit Thomas Tallis "Te lucis ante terminum" track.

I normally have the spectrum analyzer running and the analog VU meters
running as my screen saver, and with this setup the output of the SB3
stutters badly when streaming this file. It is particularly noticeable
in the higher registers of the female voices in the choir. It is not a
buffering issue, as the buffer is 100% full throughout the piece.

If I set screen saver to "none" and turn off the spectrum analyzer too
that is running while "Now Playing" is active, then the stream is
fairly clear and it sounds reasonable again.

Either there is a bug in FW 81, or decimating the 96 KHz stream to 48
KHz while running the analog VU screen saver is simply too much work
for the little Squeezebox.

With the screensaver off, 99.9% of the problem was eliminated, but it
would still do it once in a while. So, I think it is simply not
reasonable to stream such a file to the SB3.

I am going to try downsampling the file to 48kHz/24bit using DBPA, and
try that. I suspect that will work much better.

-Ron

--
Ron F.