Very interesting test...

I have been listening side-by-side to a Transporter (XLR out) vs an
SB3->digital coax->Bryston BP25DA (DAC).  I was listening to a variety
of FLAC files of EAC ripped CDs.  Through a balanced headphone rig, the
only difference I could hear a slightly wider soundstage (n.b., I hadn't
read this thread at this point), and maybe the Tranporter was slightly
brighter.

When I switched over to my speaker rig (4B-SST->Watt Puppy 7s) I really
couldn't hear much difference at all.  This is probably because my
listening room is an acoustic disaster (concrete floors, lots of glass,
etc).

Then I switced on the Inguz filter and all of the sudden the
differences between the two systems became surprisingly audible again,
more so than through my headphone rig.  (Soundstage width in
particular).  Made me want to make the Transporter a permanent fixture
in my speaker rig.

Obviously, if the room correction is working, the most likely
explanation is that I was hearing the sources more 'truly'.

I had another thought, though.  If I read things correctly, when I
listen to my FLAC-encoded CD files without Inguz at fixed digital
volume out, the DACs would be working at 16-bit, whereas with the Inguz
plugin, everything comes out at 24-bit (think this is right).  Does
anyone have a data on whether DACs perform significantly differently at
different bit-depths (SNR, jitter)?  Could it have anything to do with
up-sampling (Bryston DAC) vs not (Transporter)?

(BTW, I realized a fairer test would have been Transporter XLR out vs
Transporter digital coax into the Bryston DAC).

muski

--
muski