willyhoops wrote:
> No I get exactly what jitter is and how it works- thanks for your
> article- very good (of course the clock speeds are set the same it's
> just tiny inaccuracies that cause the problem as you already pointed
> out). I mentioned jitter in CD extraction to avoid confusion. All I am
> interested in is SPDIF jitter.
>
> I am really not interested in paying $6,000 for a DAC. I am trying to
> replace a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 hard-drive / CD player with a squeezebox.
> It cost me about $1,000 a few years ago including 250Gb hard drive and
> I have been happy with it but Squeezebox with wireless connection and
> tags is a a much better idea. My frustration is getting the analouge
> out good enough to match this mid range cd / hard drive player. I was
> hoping to find a DAC which did good enough PLL or perfect buffering for
> just a few hundred dollars. We shouldn't need to spend $6,000 to get a
> half second buffer that removes all jitter.

Can I suggest you actually try listening to some devices instead of
theorising based on their technical specification?

You might like to try the Transporter, for example. Or maybe the SB+?

I don't use an external DAC any more since I got the Transporter (I used
to use an Art DI/O with my SB1/2) so I'll leave others to recommend
possible options for external DACs.

R.