omega;213279 Wrote:

> You demand proof before investigate any real phenomenon, this not so
> easy for two normal squeezebox users...

What would you like me to do? I listened and I can't hear it.

There is nothing more I can do without information from you. So the
next step is you need to do some very simple tests which we can
reproduce here. The first we're suggesting is to make recordings using
a sound card with s/pdif. That should take you about five minutes once
you have a suitable sound card at hand.

Forget about jitter. Jitter is simply clock noise, and is easily
measurable with appropriate equipment - as easily as we can measure the
noise floor of a DAC. It doesn't work the way you think it does. It
doesn't change when you press buttons on the remote. I have taken
extensive measurements of SB3 and Transporter's jitter characteristics,
and under all circumstances it is a perfectly gaussian distribution with
no detectable correlation to any type of system activity.

You see, there is nothing I can test for you, because I have already
tested the product and what you are describing is not consistent with
what I know about it. But I am open to any evidence to the contrary.

Again, the most plausible explanation is placebo, and the more people
agree with you, the more likely it is! That's the whole point of it.
You believe what you are suggested to believe. It is a well established
concept in medicine (and elsewhere), and in audio it works exactly the
same way.

If you don't believe me and you want to do your own jitter measurements
I am happy to tell you what equipment to buy and tell you how to set it
up. It'll run you about $20K. Or if you just want to look for any
difference at all, you could use a sound card to make analog recordings
of a high frequency sine wave and compare the side bands - this is not
difficult, and your measurement guy probably knows how to do this.

Finally, please note that in my discussions with you I have not cited
how many people agree with me. It's completely irrelevant. Everything
I'm telling you is observable and falsifiable. You don't have to
believe me. You can test it yourself. Your statements, however, are not
falsifiable because I can not test them - I don't have your ears. A
statement which is not falsifiable is not necessarily true. You really
need to understand that if you're going to make any progress on this.

Good luck, I have no more ideas for you.

--
seanadams