Ejorne;213967 Wrote:
> But i don't want to go further off-topic. This is a topic about the
> squeezebox and not about cdr. The thing about cdr was just to
> illustrate the common phenomenon. ...

There is a belief in some audio circles that if you rip a CD using EAC
and then burn a CDR with an exact copy, you get in effect a better
pressing. In other words, EAC can do a better job of getting the data
than a CD player and the resulting CDR is better that the CD because
the pits are created in a non mass-production way and to a higher
tolerance.

However, it all seems to be based on the old misunderstanding between
error correction and error concealment. In other words the CDR sounds
different because the data has less errors, but the reality is that the
data is the same after it comes out of the CD read buffer because errors
are corrected in both cases. You might get a "better" CDR if you were
able to extract data from areas where the CD player could only conceal
them, but that's a very small minority of cases I would imagine.

As for the original subject, I believe Sean's assertion that the data
and process of decoding it is identical in both cases. However, I have
personally seen software developers caught out in similar circumstances
where they know how something is *supposed* to work, and have found that
in reality there are subtleties from system interactions in the real
world that cause differences. Not that I'm implying that's the case
here since Sean has reviewed his design and the operation on the SB3
prior to posting comments.

--
CardinalFang