But at any rate, the AC comparison was tough for me to buy into, because
I think a simple on/off test is not a particularly comparable test for
audio cable performance.

The way I see it, so long as oxidation/corrosion to the copper in the
AC connection does not reach the point of total failure, the lights are
on.  What goes on in an audio cable is far more complex.

As I would not be the best person to explain what those complexities
are, and how they do or do not compare to AC power, I called DH Labs.
According to the technician I spoke with, oxidation would definitely
degrade audio performance.

For starters, the cables at the power station only carry a specific and
very limited frequency across the copper.  The cable diameter is also
much greater.  By comparison, audio cables carry wide frequency ranges,
and are much are thinner (thus succumbing to the effects of oxidation
much sooner).

Once the oxidation infiltrated the copper in the cable, it would cause
the audio signals to flow in a non-linear fashion -- especially high
frequency information.  He said this can actually be shown on an
oscilloscope.

I did not ask how and when the listener would perceive this, but
suffice it to say, I've given up the idea of selling those old Monster
Cables on Audiogon.

--
Videodrome

Two-channel System:
SB3, into Musiland MD-10 DAC;
Outlaw 970 Pre/Pro;
McCormack DNA-125 amplifier;
Quad 11L speakers;
Sota Sapphire ttbl. w/ Grado Ref. Platinum Cart. into Rolls Bellari
VP-129 tube phono stage;
Marantz 10b;
Nakamichi RX505;
Cables Used: DH Labs, Van den Hul, Distech, Monster, many more.