seanadams;214252 Wrote:
> I think what he was saying is that using the _same_ speakers and mics
> that are used to amplify the live music, it sounds different live
> (through the speakers) than when playing from a recording on the same
> system (through the speakers). The question I guess is whether our
> ADCs, DACs, and storage are "perfect" - the speakers, mics, amplifier,
> and room are irrelevant because they're the same in both cases.

I guess you could do the following experiment:  put a live band singing
into mics and playing amplified instruments into a soundproof booth.
Digitally record the mics and instrument pickups.  As they play,
compare the "live" sound (meaning the mics and instrument pickups going
straight into some speakers outside the sound booth) to the recorded
sound going to those same speakers.  So the only difference is that the
recorded source went through an ADC and a DAC.

It seems overly complicated though - why not just take any old sound
sample, put it through ADC and DAC, and see if it's distinguishable
from the original?  I've tried that (with crappy equipment) and the
differences are pretty small - certainly much, much smaller than the
differences from changing the speakers or the room, or from making the
recording using a mic rather than the direct signal.

--
opaqueice