Skunk;215528 Wrote:

> So assuming you can rip them; In my guestimation the DSD>PCM conversion
> shouldn't be too different from what would go on inside some SACD
> players that have a standard DAC that accepts a PCM signal. The
> conversion is going to be made at some point regardless.

SACD players use DAC chips that accept both PCM and DSD inputs. If
anything I would expect DSD to be able to drive a delta sigma modulator
more readily (though not directly).  A quick googling did not turn up
much, but I can ask my contact at AKM how it works.

> There are posts on how to intercept the signal and output SPDIF from
> these types of players at DIYaudio.com, and I think someone makes
> boards for it as well, sans the copy protection and with multichannel
> available.

Doesn't make sense to me. DSD and PCM are fundamentally different
encodings. You can't grab a DSD signal and send it over s/pdif without
mathematically converting the signal. I'm not sure exactly how that's
done, but it's more than just twiddling some bits.

> If the copy protection is broken, e.g. having it on the hard drive, it
> becomes illegal though. The device in question is meant for external
> DACs only.

Agreed, that is no doubt the situation under DMCA. I don't think you
could convince a judge that you haven't circumvented the copy
protection on the grounds that you applied a different form of copy
protection (SCMS) to the converted signal.

--
seanadams