dudeymon;216391 Wrote:
> I'm OK with your opinion.  I just think I can do upsampling better than
> most of the DACs do, that's all.  I'm not using linear extrapolation or
> numeric transformations, but instead trying to emulate what I think a
> top flight turntable/cartridge would present in a continuous waveform.
>
> As far not adding anything, I think you are wrong.  I can clearly hear
> more subtle details in the music with my upsampling.
>
> Even simple dithering techniques have been shown to bring out finer
> details in music that could not be easily discerned before the
> dithering was applied.  This fact has been generally accepted for
> several years.
>
> I don't want to start another evil-war thread here, so please don't
> flame me if you think strongly otherwise.

I don't feel strongly - hence the smiley! I never want flame wars.

But...dithering and upsampling are rather different techniques...
Dithering has some basis in science (sort of).

Also - I'm sure you would agree that there is NO way that upsampling
can add accurate information - all it can do is interpolate, which is
simply a guess and NOT real data!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)