There are lots of things you can do to improve sound systems andimprove
room acoustics but there is also something that unfortunately you can't
fix.  A bad engineered recording is simply a bad recording.....

I can't say for sure, of course, that this is your issue but so many
sound engineers are over equalizing their recordings.  It seemed to
start in the 80s with the sudden popularity of boombox style stereos.
The effect of loudness was king on a recording at the expense of
accuracy.

The sad fact is that when you invest in truly accurate sound equipment,
it not only makes awesome recordings more awesome but it also presents
to you the realities of poor recordings that you might not have heard
before.  On less accurate systems like Big Box store speakers and MP3
players, the sound is not being produced accurately so it is more
'forgiving' to poor recordings.

This creates the irony that many CDs actually sound better on lower end
sound equipment than they do on audiophile gear.  Same with MP3s.  You
may find that your compressed music that used to sound great on your
MP3 player, now sounds crappy on your expensive speakers.  Kind of a
conundrum because you can now hear what is not there.

I'm no audiophile, golden ear myself but here are two CDs I use to
demonstrate this which will be obvious to anyone..

Evanesence - Fallen
Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms.

Play both CDs on an average sound system or MP3 player.  Odds are that
Dire Straights will sound a bit better, because it is.  It is one of
the better engineered CDs out there.  Evanescence will still sound very
good.  The cutting edge vocals blast into your ears as do the hard
hitting riffs.  Both have very dramatic sounds in many songs.  That's
why I chose them.

Now, if you have access to such, play both on a much more accurate
system.  Doesn't have to be in the 10s of thousands of dollars range.
Just speakers know for their 'proven' accuracy and flat frequency
response.

Now if the speakers are set up well, Brothers in Arms suddenly becomes
simply amazing.  You don't just hear clarity in stereo but a whole
virtual sound stage opens around you.  You hear notes and noises you
didn't even know existed in the music.

Play Evanescence and very quickly, disappointment sets in.  Amy Lee's
powerful vocals should be stunning but they are not.  They are blandly
mixed in with the rest of  the instrument noises.  What should be
emotional peaks in the music now all sound the same.  It's like every
sound is blended together at exactly the same level...... because it
is.  You turn it louder to make it sound better but it just leads to
more disappointment.

If you turned them into MP3s, it gets even worse.  Highs become lost or
tinny, lows become feint or fuzzy.   Being able to concentrate on any
particular instrument that is not forefront becomes difficult.

Anyways, my apologies for the long rant.  I'm not disagreeing with the
other posters at all, just taking this opportunity to flame sound
engineers who fell into the 'loudness' trap and are making recordings
that punish those of us who are able to hear how they truly recorded
it.

It might also explain why your more 'neutral' speakers are making this
CD sound worse than the speakers your higher end speakers.

--
Murph