Murph;219532 Wrote:
> There are lots of things you can do to improve sound systems andimprove
> room acoustics but there is also something that unfortunately you can't
> fix.  A bad engineered recording is simply a bad recording.....
>
> I can't say for sure, of course, that this is your issue but so many
> sound engineers are over equalizing their recordings.  It seemed to
> start in the 80s with the sudden popularity of boombox style stereos.
> The effect of loudness was king on a recording at the expense of
> accuracy.
>
> The sad fact is that when you invest in truly accurate sound equipment,
> it not only makes awesome recordings more awesome but it also presents
> to you the realities of poor recordings that you might not have heard
> before.  On less accurate systems like Big Box store speakers and MP3
> players, the sound is not being produced accurately so it is more
> 'forgiving' to poor recordings.
>
> This creates the irony that many CDs actually sound better on lower end
> sound equipment than they do on audiophile gear.  Same with MP3s.  You
> may find that your compressed music that used to sound great on your
> MP3 player, now sounds crappy on your expensive speakers.  Kind of a
> conundrum because you can now hear what is not there.
>
> I'm no audiophile, golden ear myself but here are two CDs I use to
> demonstrate this which will be obvious to anyone..
>
> Evanesence - Fallen
> Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms.
>
> Play both CDs on an average sound system or MP3 player.  Odds are that
> Dire Straights will sound a bit better, because it is.  It is one of
> the better engineered CDs out there.  Evanescence will still sound very
> good.  The cutting edge vocals blast into your ears as do the hard
> hitting riffs.  Both have very dramatic sounds in many songs.  That's
> why I chose them.
>
> Now, if you have access to such, play both on a much more accurate
> system.  Doesn't have to be in the 10s of thousands of dollars range.
> Just speakers know for their 'proven' accuracy and flat frequency
> response.
>
> Now if the speakers are set up well, Brothers in Arms suddenly becomes
> simply amazing.  You don't just hear clarity in stereo but a whole
> virtual sound stage opens around you.  You hear notes and noises you
> didn't even know existed in the music.
>
> Play Evanescence and very quickly, disappointment sets in.  Amy Lee's
> powerful vocals should be stunning but they are not.  They are blandly
> mixed in with the rest of  the instrument noises.  What should be
> emotional peaks in the music now all sound the same.  It's like every
> sound is blended together at exactly the same level...... because it
> is.  You turn it louder to make it sound better but it just leads to
> more disappointment.
>
> If you turned them into MP3s, it gets even worse.  Highs become lost or
> tinny, lows become feint or fuzzy.   Being able to concentrate on any
> [...]

Murph:  That wasn't a rant, that was a very good explanation!
Regarding the quest for loudness on CDs, somehwere (I don't recall if
it was on these forums), was an interesting link to a Youtube video
that showed the effects of compression on CDs.  The negative impact it
had on dynamics was pretty dramatic.

--
Videodrome

Two-channel System:
SB3 -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD-10 DAC;
Outlaw 970 Pre/Pro;
McCormack DNA-125 amplifier;
Quad 11L speakers;
Sota Sapphire ttbl. w/ Grado Ref. Platinum Cartridge -> Rolls Bellari
VP-129 tube phono stage;
Marantz 10b;
Nakamichi RX505;
Cables Used: DH Labs, Van den Hul, Distech, Monster, many more.