pablolie;226499 Wrote:
> So what would be the best way to work around it? Probably a headphone
> amp. The problem being that for this particular config I am using the
> RCA analog for direct connection to the Audio Engine 5. Hm. There are
> cables that plug into an RCA connector offering 2 female jacks... but
> it would seem an undesirablke thing to do. Are there headphone amps
> driven off digital with built in DA?
>
> Not sure what to do...

I was going to suggest driving a headamp off of the analogs, but I see
that you're already using them.  My SB3 analog outs feed a Ray Samuels
Audio Raptor headamp and it sounds great with the AKG K1000's.

You may want to peruse the HeadFi forum http://www.head-fi.org/  There
are lots of Grado folks over there with LOTS of headamp and source
discussions.  There are several DACs that would work for you - I was
considering the Grace 902 before going for the RSA Raptor.

--
MeridianMan