So, I'm just catching up here.  Great discussion.

Robin Bowes;228865 Wrote:

> Room can be thought of as a filter. e.g
>
>       Signal-->Speaker-->Filter-->Ear
>
> So, if we want to remove the effect of the Filter(i.e. the room), we
> need to apply the inverse of the Filter to the signal. e.g.
>
>       Signal-->1/Filter-->Speaker-->Filter-->Ear
>
> If the filtering is done in the digital domain with sufficient
> precision
> and accuracy it should have little or effect on the signal.

If only things were that simple!  The "room filter" is quite
multidimensional - but the correction s really just one-dimension (all
the sound comes out of the same loudspeakers).  I think Darren catches
some of that in the post I'm quoting below.  To visualize why it's so
hard, try a couple of scenarios:
- There's a wall to the right of the loudspeaker, fairly close.  So the
sound at the listening position has a reflected version, arriving a few
milliseconds later (and from a slightly different direction).  An
inverse filter could cancel this at the listening position (with a kind
of inverted pre-reflection, say).  But there are a couple problems: the
pre-reflection itself gets reflected (so the cancellation filter needs
to extend basically forever);  and second, the cancellation will only
work properly at the exact same position as the measurement.  A few
inches to the side, and you'll get an even worse situation than
before.

This effect is quite easy to hear in the filters that DRC creates.  If
you use a gentle filter (soft, erb, minimal, etc), the HF correction is
extremely gentle, and over a really short time-window.  But the stronger
filters (normal, strong, etc) give more correction at HF:  and the
trade-off is that they're increasingly sensitive to the listening
position.

A different example:  what if you put a big bell next to the
loudspeaker?  The bell is very resonant, and so very difficult to
"invert" for.  Now, rooms themselves are like bells - for frequencies
below 120Hz or so, anyway - because they resonate as standing waves
build up.  And is the bell resonated at (say) 200Hz: it would make a
huge spike in the measured 200Hz room response.  But would you really
want to just cut 200Hz out of the signal, to end up with a flat room
response?  Probably not - the bell sound would still be there, but the
music would begin to sound plain weird.

darrenyeats;228997 Wrote:
> Now here is part of the theory behind omnipole and dipole speakers. They
> spread sound in all directions, which aids in creating a sound field
> which the brain is used to. After all, normal real sounds spread out in
> all directions. With natural sounds their reflections - albeit arriving
> later and attenuated - have a similar quality to the original. In
> contrast box speakers, which have a directional output, naturally cause
> reflections to have a different quality to the direct sound. (Stand
> behind your box speaker. Even *before* the sound bounces off the back
> wall it has a different quality from the sound in front!)

Exactly right.  I think the difference between the "direct sound" and
the "room sound" is a big part of what makes recorded music less than
"live"-sounding.

The general wisdom seems to be (hmmmph... can't think where to find a
reference for this...) that "room sound" is typically too bright.  I
used a pair of Gallo Ref3 speakers for a long while, which are nearly
omnidirectional (and rather excellent).  But they didn't have very much
"heft" - not I think due to lack of bass, although perhaps a bit of
midrange suckout due to floor bounce - but perhaps because they threw a
lot of HF sound into the room.  Partly as a way to try understand this
stuff, I'm now listening to horn speakers - very directional indeed (at
least in the 1k-5k range).  I like them a lot, and the amount of "room
sound" altogether is at least 6dB down from the Gallos.  Listening way
off the beam, the reflected sound is still quite lifelike.

Anyhow, that room/direct balance was one reason I built the 'flatness'
(http://inguzaudio.com/blog/2007/09/17/flatness/) control and the
"_direct" filter set.  I don't think there's a single "right answer".
Experimentation is good :-)

--
inguz