darrenyeats;228997 Wrote:
> Omnipole and dipole advocates work on the above premise, namely
> "reflections happen" so work with it not against it. I think a really
> short Executive Summary would be "by creating natural and familiar
> acoustic conditions in the listening space, the brain can do its DSP
> magic to re-create an illusion of the RECORDED acoustic space (which
> could be quite different)". This might sound counter-intuitive, but I
> have read a lot of listening reports which say that it works! I am
> listening to some very good dipole speakers soon (Linkwitz Orion) so I
> will report on what I hear. Opaqueice, can you chip in since you've
> already heard them?
>
> The DRC approach is a contrast to this.
>
> However I think DRC in the bass is OK ;-)
> Darren

Darren, interesting you should bring this up. I have been using
non-direct radiators for close on to 20 years now, and have an admitted
bias for this type of musical reproduction. I'm careful to say
"non-direct" because there are different ways to get this - dipoles,
Walsh type drivers, etc. In my case Shahinian categorizes his speakers
as "polyradial", many drivers placed carefully to create the resulting
sound. It works well, but I've wondered if DRC can work correctly for
"non-standard" speaker designs like this.

BTW, here is the curve set for the different mic correction curves in
the different programs I use. Blue is the one used by TrueRTA; purple
is the one for DRC, and mustard is the one for REQW. I figued since I'm
trying to use TrueRTA to check the correction curves, that one and the
DRC mic cal are close enough to where it shouldn't affect things too
badly.

|Filename: mic_curves.jpg                                           |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3351|

tonyptony