You may already know this, but an anechoic room sounds awful! It's
simply not natural.
Anyway this isn't all about reflected vs direct sound. There are other
issues such as standing waves and room modes.
I haven't tested RC with non-direct radiating speakers but I have
experimented with speaker placement and RC and my conclusion was that
(obviously) placement changes require new curves - but the benefits of
RC are still delivered regardless of where in the room the speakers end
up.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...

...SB3+TACT+Altmann+MF DACXV3/Linn tri-amped Aktiv 5.1 system and some
very expensive cables ;o)