teejay;235214 Wrote:

> Sorry for the rambling so far, there is actually a question in all
> this. My HT receiver has pre-out connections for all channels, so I
> could imagine a setup like this:
>
> - multi-channel sources hooked up to my HT receiver
> - front L/R pre-out of the receiver going to a 2-channel amp or
> pre-amp
> - analog sources (SB primarily) connected to the 2-channel amp
> - front L/R speakers amplified by the 2-channel amp, C+surround by the
> HT receiver

Hi

I have almost exactly this setup and it works very well for me.  I have
a Transporter (and nothing else) feeding an Arcam FMJ A32 Amplifier,
driving 2 front speakers. Everything else feeds into a Denon 2805 AVR,
which drives the surround speakers directly and a spare input on the
Arcam.

For this to work, as you've noticed, its essential that you are able to
fix the volume level (at a level of your choosing so you can balance the
channels is handy but not essential if your AVR can trim volumes, I
guess most can) on the 2-channel amplifier - quite a few have this
feature (sometimes called HT Bypass or similar).

Its also a really good idea to have a decent remote - I use a Harmony -
so you can switch everything around with a single button push.

HTH
Ceejay (no relation)

--
ceejay