results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19817
Question: Should there be a new forum for photos?

- yes
- no
- maybe

toscana;235325 Wrote:
> Hi pablolie,
>
> this looks like a decent little system. I especially like the use of
> the headphone amp. Do you recognise any improvement of the sound
> quality by connecting the SB3 through the Creek to the AE5 vs.
> connecting the SB3 directly to the AE5?
>
> Cheers,
>
> toscana

toscana -

indeed I was worried about signal degradation introducing the
"middleman" headphone amp into the chain. I was certainly not expecting
an improvement.

But no, I hear absolutely no change in the way the AE5s sound. They
sound the same, and they're amazing for the cost. The Creek HA makes
itself utterly transparent, which is the way it should behave, in my
opinion.

And there's a *huge* difference in the quality of the sound coming out
of the Grados (as opposed to connecting them directly to the AE5
loudspeaker output). All I have to do to listen to great quality
headphone output is crank down the volume on the AE5 to zero, crank up
the SB volume to 100%, and set up the volume level manually on the
Creek. Sounds very, very sweet.

So connecting the Creek amp was a great thing to do, even though of
course I'd prefer the SB3 to have a better heaphone driver.

I don't know - am I the only one that would gladly pay for a $600
version of the SB3 with upgraded DA and headphone parts? Amazing as the
Transporter is, I just prefer the elegant little box approach of the
SB3.

--
pablolie