opaqueice;235408 Wrote:
> I'm sure Rolex-wearers would be quite happy if they could convince
> others of that - if Rolexes were the best watches by some objective
> standard ...

The watch argument to me illustrates some of the misperceptions here.
Rolex is not the only luxury brand. In fact, as far as true watch
afficionados go, Rokex is pretty pedestrian, both from a price point as
from the complication of their in house mechanical movements. There are
houses like Blancpain, Ptekx, Audemars Piguet, Breguet and a score of
other that sell watches that command >$500k price tags. For one of
them.

And no one would be able to tell by looking at them, because it takes a
true enthusiast's eye. So I don't think it's the brag and boast effect -
that is achieved with things that are not quite over the top, but good
enough so many people have heard about them.

I think a huge aspect here is simply *passion*, which is a beautiful
thing, even when of course sometimes only people with a lot of
disposable income get to live it out. Passion, and making an individual
statement, the latter often is very private and no one else would ever
know.

*Some* may buy stuff simply to show off. Some fo it because they trule
care about the product, and want to make a statement for themselves and
no one else.

As always, I think it's wrong to paint *all* people that do X in a
generic way. People do stuff for many reasons. Some people believe in
war for ideals - some for profit. It's human nature, there's always
another side to every coin. :-)

...p

PS: I am a watch collector, and love my collection of a dozen or so
fine watches, but heck no, I will never spend $500k on a watch. Ever.
And there's not a single Rolex in my collection - too recognizable and
predictable. 99.999% of people would never know when I am wearing a
$20k watch - and I don't want them to.

--
pablolie