Phil Leigh;184095 Wrote:
> No optical is NOT inferior and is used extensively in certain
> professional circumstances. At the frequencies and distances involved
> in domestic digital applications this is a non-issue. In fact I would
> go as far as to say that optical is preferable in many circumstances
> due to the lack of galvanic coupling.
>
> This is one of the "great audio myths of our time". (similar to "all
> switching supplies are inherently flawed" and "jitter doesn't exist
> anymore because transports and DACs are so great")

It is inferior, and it is not a myth. You are grossly uninformed.

Galvanic isolation can be achieved by using transformers, althoough
doing so requires some skill on the part of the designer.

Of all the optical methods, TOSLINK is the worst. Single-mode fibre
could be used effectively, but alas, the way it is commonly implemented
is all wrong.

(In case anyone actually cares, I helped to engineer the world's first
single-mode long-haul fibre system. I may just have an idea what I am
talking about. Not that the ignorant will care; they rarely are
open-mended enough.)

Pat

--
ar-t