OK, so I found the problem with PS #1.  I opened the box and discovered
the leads from the regulator and one of the leads from the transformer
were touching the center channel (support beam, of sorts) of the box!!
Taking the card out and putting friction tape across the entire bottom
of the card, as well as trimming back the leads, solved the HUM
problem.  HOW I was still getting 5VDC out of it I'll never know!!

Also, looking back at what happened when my Black SB3 blew, I think the
case of the PS was touching metal of the rack the SB3 was sitting in.
The SB3's metal legs were also touching, so KA-POW!! (especially with
the above mentioned contact from the transformer and regulator)

Anyway, the finished PS is great, clean and working.  I'll start on the
2nd one with the same precautions for the bottom of the board.  The
blown SB3 is being sent back to Logitech for repair at a cost of $90.
My fault!!

I let both Ron Welborne and Wayne Waananen from Bolder Cable (who had
been helping off-line) know what I found.

If anyone is considering building this kit, it IS a tight fit inside.
Make sure you follow ALL directions and keep the leads under the board
trimmed back and isolated with friction/electrical tape as necessary.

--
Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg - San Diego
[EMAIL PROTECTED]