John Atkinson in Stereophile, among others in various reviews have
stated that the overwhelming quantity of listening they do these days
comes from music server based playback. The PC's decoupling of the
optical pickup from the actual decoding process(reducing some jitter
components) has been attributed to some of this benefit in past
articles.

I think these statements have been made quickly, in passing, not to
distract readers from the many high-end traditional front-end choices
that still largely fund these magazines via advertising revenue.

I have a sub $100 PC slimserver who's bits sound just the same via the
TCP based FLAC stream than any cost of PC server.   The nature of HDD
based replay and streaming is counter to the traditional culture of
high-end audio.    I think, inevitably, things will change and the
nature of these magazines will as well.   More focus on DACs and  the
software we run on PCs to manage and secure  our collections perhaps?
Maybe in-depth discussions on how to get the best out of Slimserver, for
example?

Good Listening!

--
jt25741

SB3->AR Masters Coax -> PS Audio DLIII -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR ->
Sim Audio P-5 -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio W-5 -> Cardas
Golden Reference Hi-Mid,PS Audio Xstream Plus Low-> Magnepan 3.6R