You probably don't need very many settings.  I've got my SB3 going into
a Benchmark DAC1, which has an analogue volume control.  I do adjust
it, but pretty rarely, and I think three or four fixed settings would
actually be enough (I use the SB digital volume control for fine
adjustments).

Of course the trick is knowing which settings you'll need...  but you
can find that out - just decide (using the digital volume) what the
loudest and softest max settings are that you might want.  Then convert
that to dB (I think the TP volume control is .5dB per tick - i.e. 99 is
.5 dB below 100 - but you should verify that) and you'll know how much
attenuation you'll need.

--
opaqueice