Phil Leigh;264361 Wrote:
> I'm not disagreeing - commercially, you have to eat your own dogfood...
> But my point really was that if you can create well-balanced masters
> then the speakers are fundamentally "OK".
> The sound on these CD's is not just to do with compression (they use
> plenty, especially on vocals!) or the agreed abscence of brick-wall
> limiting, but also the quality of the end-to-end recording chain.
>
> Anyway, Linn/Naim was just an example.
>
> Abbey Road has been all over B&W for years and no-one complains about
> their masters - they are held in high esteem. I'm not a big fan of the
> B&W sound by the way - except for the Nautilus which is just...wow!
>
> [...]

A good mix makes mastering much easier. Re. Linn/Naim, I was talking
about master buss compression rather than track compression. I think
you will find that one thing that distinguishes the Linn/Naim approach
is the relatively small amount of compression across the main stereo
buss either in mixing or mastering.

Abbey Road is more famous for recording and mixing than for mastering,
I would say. I realise that they also have mastering and surround
mastering facilities, and that they mainly use B&W Nautilus 801 and 802
(although they have Questeds as well). They wouldn't use bad speakers,
even if they got them for nothing. B&W are good speakers but I think
the active ATCs are possibly better and certainly more convenient in a
domestic context (no need to house some mega amps in the system to cope
with the hard load).

Andrew

--
Andrew B.