Gentlemen, what matters is what you hear, and I hear a difference.  Some
SACDs I own are from recording from the 50s -- do they 'sound' better
than a CD recording from the last couple years?  No, but unfortunately
you can't hear Leontyne Price or Maria Callas or Thelonious Monk from a
fresh recording and mastering from the last couple years.  I never
appreciated Bob Dylan until I bought the remasterings on SACD.  This is
not due to the euphonic distortion of tubes or anything, but due to the
utterly involving, highly accurate sound that allows one to understand
Dylan's musical choices in all their subtlety (I never thought I would
say that!).  In other words, as in all things audio, there is art and
science, and I find you gentlemen quoting the science without
addressing the art or given evidence based on careful listening--what
we are all ultimately here for.

RE: SACD is just DRM.  Science: what happens when you filter at 22.05
khz vs. the higher frequencies of the hi res formats?  I have 3/4"
ScanSpeak tweets and trust me they can reproduce the ringing and glassy
grain you get from the  low pass filtering of CD.  SACD is by definition
a DRM format because the file sizes are too large to easily copy,
download, etc. unlike those wonderfully sounding compressed MP3 files.

FLAC may be "lossless" in a technical sense but an easy AB test through
your SB should illustrate the differences. At least they do on my
system.  If not on yours, then by all means go with FLAC.  For those of
us who have a philosophy of interfering as little as possible with
sound, why compress at all, 'lossless' or otherwise?  And if the issue
is merely file size and frankly storage is really cheap (500gb SATA
HDDs are now below $100), why on earth not just record the music that
matters to you in a true 1 for 1 copy? I have never bogged down my
network with SqueezeCenter. Not to mention the fact that it is a faster
rip in EAC without the compression step.

DSD does "chop" the waveform, but by doing it in 1 bit, 1 or 0,
representing the waveform every 1/2.8 millionth of a second as
ascending or descending, it follows the original analog waveform far
more closely than attempting to represent it entirely by only 24 or 20
or 16 bits (a compression) at whatever sample frequency is chosen.  It
is NOT a simple math problem, but a fundamentally different approach.

Maybe marketing hype, but one can say that for the entire history of
CD, no?  Our vinyl buddies would say so.  "Perfect Sound Forever..."
:-)

My .03.

rhizomaticon

SB3 + DIY FreeNAS server w/SlimNAS + SqueezeCenter 7.0
Sony C555ES CD/SACD
Creek 0BH-12
Musical Fidelity A3CR
Hafler 500
4-way DIY transmission line towers with Scan-Speak Tweets, rest
Peerless (Bi-Amped)