After extensive Blind Testing of streamed FLAC vs WAV (documented
elsewhere) USING AN EXTERNAL DAC with an SB3 I found no (zero)
difference in resultant sound quality. I'm quite happy for your mileage
to vary, I'm just reporting my findings. Personally this is a dead line
of enquiry. The digital output is audibly and visually (on a good
scope) identical to me.

The final nail in the coffin is that WAV as a storage format has no
worthwhile tagging. So storing the data as FLAC (or equivalent) is the
only sensible option. For wireless transmission, server side decoding
to WAV makes no sense from a network data bandwidth point-of-view.

I can't hear ANY difference between streamed WAV vs streamed FLAC. I
have some of the Linn masters and they sound great. They sound great
downsampled to 48/24. They don't sound any different to me at 88.2 (or
96) / 24.

I know you won't agree, but IMHO SACD  just isn't that much better to
enough people to make it a commercial success.

Personally, if the Red Book standard had been 44.1/24, I don't think we
would have ever gone to the "higher resolution" formats.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables