So I have searched through the forums, read the replies, and while I
understand the arguments that limited volume reduction will not effect
sound quality, I feel happier getting the same samples out of the
squeezebox as I started with on the original CD - so the volume control
will be set at 100% from now on.

Whether I am imagining it or not, I remain convinced I can tell the
diffence between SB3, duet and CD direct (mission CD player) using the
same coax cable and the same external DACs (krell processor). To put my
mind at rest I have ordered a transporter which I collect tomorrow.

I will report back how I get on.

Andy.

--
Andy8421